Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Glee Season Two - "The Substitute" to "The Sue Sylvester Shuffle"

About 4 months ago, I gave up on watching Glee. My reasons for this are many and varied, but the chief reason was this: Why was I wasting my time trying to connect with and care about these characters, when it was clear that the three men writing it (Ryan Murphy, Ian Brennan, and Brad Falchuk) didn't seem to care about them?
Characters change motivation from episode to episode, sometimes even act to act. The only characters who are remotely consistent are Brittany, Santana, Kurt, and Sue; two of whom get so little screen time that it's laughable (those would be the two without Emmy nominations/wins, of course).

But then I began this blog, and I decided that it would be nice to have something to write about that would not always be positive, at least not overwhelmingly so. Not that all of my other reviews are going to be positive, far from it, I would imagine, but Glee is the first show I've ever watched that fascinates and infuriates me all at the same time, and I couldn't pass up an opportunity to write about it. It is so bipolar, and I cannot figure out whether I genuinely love it, or if I genuinely hate it. Then moments like “(I've Had) The Time of My Life” and “Valerie” happen, and I forgive everything that made me angry before. Well, okay, if not forgive, completely forget for about ten minutes. I'd like to blog about my complex feelings about the show. This article will cover episodes seven through eleven of season two, the four most recent.

Another aspect I'd like to discuss and just get out of the way before I go on to specifics about the episodes I watched during my catch-up is the marketing. Unless you've been living under a rock, in a far-flung corner of the world, you have at the very least heard about Glee. It is insidious. It's a brand name, a facet of pop-culture itself, and I am disturbed by this. There's digital downloads, physical CDs, DVD and Blu-Ray.To capitalize on the latter they've so far released each season in two parts and then later, when the season was actually over, released all of season one to help aid promotion for season two, not that the show needed it. They seem to be doing something similar this year, with season one volume one due soon. There was a sold out tour last summer and one coming up this summer, a new reality show designed to find a couple new cast members (if you don't service the characters you actually have, there's no reason to add more), magazine covers, and more merchandise than I could ever thoroughly list. Glee has become a brand, and the television show itself seems almost secondary. I think that's a slippery slope. The show is so very inconsistent as it is, and any more attention drawn away from the writing and production of  the show may just compound that.

Don't get me wrong, though. I do actually like the show, genuinely. I love the giant showstopping numbers (“Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag”, “Somebody To Love”, both versions of “Don't Stop Believing”, “Time Warp”, and those are just a few examples), but I also love the quieter, more joyful moments like “Dog Days Are Over”, “Happy Days Are Here Again/Come On Get Happy”, “To Sir, With Love”, I could go on and on and on. The music I almost never have a problem with. Usually the performances are so well staged, so well directed, and most importantly, so well performed, that I rarely find fault with them. I love musicals and most music in general, so to see them paying tribute to so many different genres makes me very happy. But where I feel the numbers sometimes fall flat is when the emotion isn't earned. When I feel like there's nothing about the song that has anything remotely to do with what's going on in the story. Sometimes a performance is just silly, or stupid, or lazy.There are moments when you can tell that they're not as committed to it as they might be to a better number. That doesn't happen as often as it could, which is good, because there's enough that's messy about the show without it ceasing to be entertaining.

However, there are a few of these performances within “The Sue Sylvester Shuffle,” and I wanted to talk about those, because they just landed wrong. First, we have the McKinley High football team, dressed as zombies, doing The Zombies' “She's Not There”. A little on the nose, yes, and the performance wasn't good enough to make me stop rolling my eyes at just how much. And then we join a Dalton Academy Warblers' rehearsal, already in progress. If I'm going to see a bunch of guys perform “Bills Bills Bills” by Destiny's Child, there had better be a damn good reason for it in the story, and regionals rehearsal, when regionals is months away, is not a good reason. God forbid the writers go one episode without featuring Kurt and Blaine.

I like most of The Warblers' performances so far, so please rest assured that I'm not just hating because I can't stand Darren Criss, which I guess I should have mentioned earlier. Now, it's nothing the poor guy did. It's the Internets fault, really. This guy became popular overnight after “Never Been Kissed” aired. I had vaguely heard of him because of A Very Potter Musical, but suddenly, the dude was everywhere. Kind of just like Glee. And I am tired of the hype machine, which I am perpetuating now by talking about this dude at all, so I'll stop.

Outside of the music, there's still a lot to love about the show, even when we're considering the ridiculousness inherent in the show itself. The kind of absurdity that allows Sue to dress up as The Grinch, and to make Becky her “reindog”, which was the absolute funniest part of that entire mess of a Christmas episode. The episode focused too much for my tastes on Rachel and Finn, a couple I barely cared about when they were together. I prefer those two people separate, thanks. Together they're just annoying, and they feed off of each others annoyingness until they're just insufferable. I think pairing Rachel with a character like Puck is brilliant. Musically speaking, they sound great together, but I think more than that the characters compliment each other in a strange way. The Bad Boy and The Diva. Always an interesting combination.

Of course my favorite part of the episode was the show's completely unsung hero, Brittany S. Pierce. She's gotten more to do lately, and I'm glad. I loved her story in the Christmas episode, even if the resolution was kind of hokey and emotionally manipulative. It just makes sense to me that a sweet, naive girl like Brittany would still believe so completely in Santa. It also gave Ms. Beiste some great moments, which I'm always in favor of. Pretty awesome.

Backtrack with me a little bit. I know, I like to ramble. Either I'll get better at this, or you'll get used to it, but I want to talk about Gwyneth Paltrow's turn as Holly Holliday in “The Substitute”. I like the character, to a degree, though I felt she tried way too hard to be the cool mom, and even after she realized this she didn't try to change it, which bothered me. Her voice and dancing skills were great, much better than I expected. I love that she was able to call Rachel out on her shit, when so few people would ever get away with it, and it gave us my favorite performance of the episode, the aforementioned “Nowadays/Hot Honey Rag.” Love me some Chicago, and I love when the show just lets Lea Michele be Lea Michele. I thought Paltrow acquitted herself well, with all the hype surrounding her appearance. But I'm tired of the show having these big guest stars and then inevitably they overshadow the rest of the cast. You know, the characters we actually tune in to see?

Another thing that bothered me about this episode was Kurt's behavior towards Mercedes. I thought he was out of line with his assumption that she was so connected with Kurt because of her need for a boyfriend. I know he's mended fences since, but I won't forget it, because for a character who has been wildly consistent (the opposite of the Glee norm), it bugged me.

Will Schuester is an idiot. Sick as a dog and lonely to boot, he sleeps with his psychotic ex-wife, and when she does the Terri thing and attempts to insinuate herself back into his life, he tells her in no uncertain terms to get out. This on its own I would be fine with. But the fact that he does this IN FRONT OF MS. HOLLIDAY is just beyond the pale. Will Schuester is an idiot.

I'm not a big fan of a lot of the relationships on this show, as you can probably tell, so I'll be brief about “Furt”. I loved the wedding scenes, implausible as they may have been, (hey, this is Glee, you have to suspend disbelief at least 50% of the time) and I definitely teared up when Burt and Carol were giving their vows, and then again at Finn's speech to Kurt. A nice end to the bullying storyline, which I’ve decided to do a separate post on, because I have a lot to say that would be better served in it’s own post.

Sam and Quinn at the beginning completely baffled me. Sam, you're an idiot child. You're probably not going to be with this girl for that long, giving her a promise ring for MARRIAGE is not the ideal thing, here. I've felt he was a useless addition since the beginning of this year, and now he's irritating to boot. But Quinn's response was perfect, and I bought that she would start wearing his ring by the end of the episode.

I loved Carol Burnett as Sue's completely wacky Nazi Hunter mother, and loved the emotion and humor in their duet of “Ohio”.

Burt Hummel is the best father ever. Enough said. End of story. Love him until the end of time.

Overall this was the episode that signified the end of the “Kurt gets bullied” arc, and as we all knew it would, the episode ended with Kurt transferring to Tolerance Narnia (©Todd VanDerWerff), aka Dalton Academy. As I stated earlier, the bullying arc is going to get it's own separate post. I'm just not sure when I'll write it. I'll just say that while I understand his reasons, and seriously, fuck that school board, I wish Kurt hadn't left. I really do. New Directions needs him, and I hope they all figure that out, including Kurt.

I sort of oopsed, and completely forgot to take notes on “Special Education”, but that's because I was completely engrossed in it. I was mad at Santana for just letting that information about her and Finn go, right in the middle of the choir room. But I love Santana and hate Rachel most of the time, depending on who's writing her, so in the end I was completely okay with it. Her snide “Did I mention he bought me dinner afterwards?” was so evil and perfect. I like a good villain who's not Sue Sylvester every once in a while. Santana fits that bill well.

I love that it was Emma who convinced Will to feature some performers he hadn't previously, leading him to give leads to Sam, Quinn, and Santana, and featuring the mind blowing dance skills of Brittany and Mike Chang. Fantastic, and it worked so well that I wasn't surprised to see them take second. However, Emma (whom I love) lost a lot of my good will when she went and married Carl the Dentist (aka Jesse from Full House). Blah. Stupid girl, you and Will should be stupid together, not apart.

I'm going to pretend that Pavarotti and that stupid metaphor don't even exist. Don't expect to see any commentary on the bird aside from snark, if I even have the energy for that. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I love Puck, I'm not ashamed to admit it, so the idea that Rachel made out with him to get back at Finn for having sex with Santana is mostly just amusing to me. Also, making out with someone is totally not worse than sleeping with someone else, so get off your sanctimonious high horse, Finn Hudson. Cheating is cheating, but not all cheating is created equal.

Brittany and Artie's relationship has blossomed from something awkward and unnecessary to something really very sweet, by the way. I'm very happy with how things are going there. They compliment each other well. Additionally, they don't have any annoying running bits like “Asian kisses!” or whatever that stupidity is that Tina and Mike do. Tina and Mike are okay together (perfect in “Sing!”), but the way they have to identify everything that they do as Asian really gets on my nerves.

Wow, every Glee storyline, aside from Kurt, seems to be about high school relationships, and how they function. Odd, but completely appropriate. I just wish it was written more consistently from episode to episode, with a view to continuity and characterization and building some semblance of an ongoing plot. Because it can be so good, but it could be so much better. They spend so much time marketing and merchandising and hyping the show that at times it feels as if it’s one giant American Idol Ford commercial. “Buy our singles on iTunes! Don’t forget your DVDs, Finn Hudson keychains and Rachel Berry Air Freshener!” They forget that they’re writing a television show, not a giant commercial for all the ancillary products.

When you get a spot as highly sought-after as the post Super Bowl episode, it might be a good idea to play to the shows strengths. An episode that brings the glee club and the football team together is a great idea, but it doesn’t work if the people watching have no sense of the overall plot going on there (which the show itself seemed to have forgotten, as this is the first time it’s mentioned since “Theatricality”). It was all a giant excuse for the huge halftime show set piece of “Thriller/Heads Will Roll”, which was fantastic and will probably stand out as one of their better performances, but there was no reason for the overarching plot of the episode beyond setting the stage for it. Sloppy. And I don’t buy for a second that closeted bully Karofsky would all of a sudden decide to join them after he quit the football team because he thought the whole thing was “too gay.”

Oh, and this may be a little off topic, but I did want to give a one fingered salute to the people of the Parent's Television Council. You make claims that children look up to and idolize the characters on Glee, thus making it wrong for the actors who portray them to pose for risque magazine covers (even though everyone on the show is well of age to be doing so). Does it strike anyone besides me as odd that they're all right with their children watching a show that deals with sex, infidelity, teenage pregnancy, baby blackmail and the cruelty that is often Sue Sylvester, but a 20 something year old actress posing for a magazine is scandalous to them? Dianna Agron and Lea Michele are adults, but more than that, onGlee they are actresses playing a role, and you cannot expect them to act like high schoolers off set.

Overall, I enjoyed these episodes more than I disliked them. The characters are still inconsistent from week to week, scene to scene, and that’s to be expected at this point, unfortunately. But when the show gets the big emotional moments right, whether in song or not, it gets it right. I still get irritated, and I will still call out the unreality of the plot when it is warranted, but I guess the biggest question you need to ask yourself when you’re watching Glee is if the entertainment value is worth a little bit of aggravation. Sometimes, the answer is yes.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the new name. Simple and to the point!

    I agree that Fox is putting more focus into selling the show then actually focusing on the show itself. They can do so much more with it character and plot development wise but nope, too busy bringing in the monies and seeing what big name star they can get next. I will forever be bitter over what happened with Jesse's character. I wasn't a hug Jesse fan but when I started to actually like the guy they go and derail his character and undo everything up until that point. One episode he's telling Shelby how he doesn't want to hurt Rachel and then few episodes later he's THROWING EGGS AT HER. kek9,glJF94KLU.GHo0e *bitter*

    Gwyneth Paltrow was much better then I expected her too be and I was overall pleased with her. I've heard that she's coming back or they are in the works of trying to get to come back.

    Burt: BEST DAD EVER.

    I like that we are seeing more of Brittany, Santana(I love her and her bitchy ways), and Mike. It took me forever to get used to the fact that he had lines for a while. I really liked his and Tina's duet. The fact that the writers always reminded us that they are Asian needs to STOP. We get it.

    Kurt: I don't care what anyone says, Chris Colfer deserved the Golden Globe. He's very talented for his age. One of the things I didn't like about Kurt from season 1 was his crush on Finn went a bit too far. He pushed and Finn snapped at him, and while I don't agree with what Finn its understandable why he snapped. Now going back to Season 2, Chris really pulled everything out for the bullying episodes. The horror on his face after he was kissed was etched into my brain long after I finished the episode. I know Ryan's going to lead up to a Kurt/Blaine relationship. At least I think that's where it's going.

    Blaine: Darren has signed on for a 3rd season and I can't imagine why they would want him around other then for Kurt and him getting together. Teenager Dream has been one of my favorite performances of Glee. I have listened to it a ridiculously amount of times and I didn't really like Katy's before this. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about him with Kurt until they, if they do that is, develop his character a little bit more but for what its worth Darren has a great personality
    and I think he's pretty talented.

    Sam: He hasn't done anything for me at all and I'm not really interested or sold on the Quinn/Sam storyline and Chord has an okay voice.

    Will: I do not understand this man at all. One moment he's acting like an actual adult and teacher and then the next minute he's acting more like a teenager then the actual teenage character. I'm kind of glad he's not with Emma for the way he acts.

    Sue: Is too awesome put into words and will be the only character worth watching for after the kids graduate.

    My biggest peeve with the show lately is the auto-tuning. Bills, Bills, Bills..oh lordy. Stop with all the auto-tuning and just let them SING. Sometimes its needed but most of the time its not. It's been used wwaayyy too much now.

    I want to scream and smack the people at Parent's Television Council for all the reasons you said.

    "But when the show gets the big emotional moments right, whether in song or not, it gets it right."

    And this is why I can't stop watching this show. No matter how much an episode may make me facepalm, pull my hair, and go "you've got to be kidding me" there are moments that just work and I go from nearly pulling my hair out in frustration to finding the nearest tissue box.

    ReplyDelete